Social Justice Grants
Each year our Social Justice Funds Committee awards funds from our Social Justice endowment to support start up projects in Monroe County. The Committee accepts requests in the fall.
This year's Social Justice Grant recipient is:
The UU RISE Task Force (Refugee and Immigration Support and Education), in partnership with the Bloomington Refugee Support Network
$1000 was awarded for dental work and surgeries for refugee families in Monroe County.
Applications are accepted in October, and the guidelines and application form will be posted on this page. Once the applications are received, the committee meets to determine the recipients. Preference is given to the following but others will be considered:
- Being a part of a Social Justice task force
- The number of UU members involved
- Consistent with the mission of the UU church
- Does this empower the organization to empower others?
- Is this seed money rather than for maintenance?
- Will our contribution make a real difference in their budget?
- Do they have finite goals?
- Have they received UU social justice grants in the past?
- The monies cannot be used to pay for professional services or salaries.
Fall Grant recipients are announced in November and the recipients have one year to use their funds or they will be returned to our SPF account. Grant recipients are also asked to write a review for our newsletter of how funds were used.
The Social Justice Funds Committee (SJFC) provides information regarding possible funding for social justice activities and administers two UUCB programs (Fall Grants and the Sunday Plate Fund).
Committee members: Denise Ogren, Steve Mascari, Scott Sanders, Sarah Kopper, Sandy Davoren | Advisor: Jackie Hall