How did the UU Church of Bloomington Become a Welcoming Congregation?
In 1995 the UU Church of Bloomington completed 16 action steps in the areas of education, congregational life and community outreach, and by a vote of the congregation became recognized as a UU Welcoming Congregation. Some of the steps included were:
- Be inclusive and expressive of the concerns of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender persons at every level of congregational life.
- Celebrate the lives of all people and welcome same-gender couples, recognizing their committed relationships and equally affirming displays of caring and affection without regard to sexual orientation.
- Seek to nurture ongoing dialogue between bisexual, gay, heterosexual, lesbian, and transgender persons, and create deeper trust and sharing.
- Advocate for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people, attending to legislative developments and working to promote justice, freedom, and equality in the larger society.
- Speak out when the rights of bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender people are at stake.