Congregational History

The first organization of Unitarians in Bloomington occurred in 1949 when a small group of faculty and students organized a Fellowship under the auspices of the American Unitarian Association. Adults held lay-led discussions on Sunday evenings in IU facilities or in members' homes. Religious education classes for children were held in the Indiana Memorial Union building.

In the ensuing years, the church has grown dramatically. The current property, purchased in 1964, has undergone a series of improvements; the most recent was the near doubling of the building and construction of the large Meeting Room in 1999. Many of the church's capital improvements and furnishings have been made possible by donations from the Women's Alliance with earnings from the Holiday Bazaar it initiated in 1959. Church membership is over 500. The staff includes professionals in charge of church administration, campus ministry, religious education, and music. Future development is guided by a long-range plan.

Unitarian Universalist Association - challis image courtesy of Steve Bridenbaugh