Curated Resources Suggested by the End of Life Task Force
End of Life Issues in Time of COVID-19
Kathy Gilbert gilbertK(at)indiana.edu & Tracy Zollinger Turner opalmyra(at)gmail.com
The Conversation Project whose general focus is on facilitating family conversations about end of life wishes. Their website includes links to starter kits, workbooks that can be used as the framework for a conversation about end of life wishes. This link focuses on end of life in relation to COVID-19: https://theconversationproject.org/covid19/
7 Tips for Reducing Feelings of Isolation, From Modern Loss: https://modernloss.com/7-tips-for-reducing-feelings-of-isolation/
Open to Hope Podcasts: https://www.opentohope.com/radio/ Interviews with individuals with inspiring stories about recovery from loss.
Creating Memorials as We Shelter in Place
Ritual and Grief in the Time of COVID-19: https://theconversationproject.org/tcp-blog/ritual-and-grief-in-the-time-of-covid-19/
Order of the Good Death has a Covid 19 Toolkit that includes info about burials and funerals, online funerals/funerals in absentia: http://www.orderofthegooddeath.com/covid-19-toolkit
An article with tips for creating/planning a Zoom funeral: https://www.joincake.com/blog/zoom-funeral/
A listing of ten websites for online memorials: https://www.everplans.com/articles/the-top-10-online-memorial-websites (Some of these are free and many are commercial. We don’t endorse any of the website on the list.)
11 Etiquette Rules You Need for Dealing with Death on Social Media: https://www.rd.com/advice/relationships/death-on-social-media/
Advance Directives in the Time of COVID-19
An NBC article about end-of-life directives in the age of Coronavirus: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/coronavirus-spreads-more-people-thinking-about-end-life-directives-n1164356
An op-ed from a palliative care doctor about the heightened importance of advanced directives:: https://www.nextavenue.org/advance-care-planning-during-coronavirus-pandemic/
The following came from Zippy News, the newsletter of the National Council on Family Relations (NOT one of the conservative groups that has appropriated family in their title—this is an organization for professionals who work with families).
Supporting Children and Families in Time of COVID-19
Talking to Children About Coronavirus
· Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus (National Public Radio) was created from interviews with a social worker, a developmental psychologist, and a clinical psychologist.
· How to Talk to Your Kids About Coronavirus (PBS Kids)
· Video: Coronavirus: How to Talk to Kids (Nemours KidsHealth)
· Resources for Supporting Children’s Emotional Well-being during the COVID-19 Pandemic (Child Trends)
Helping Families Cope with Coronavirus
· Resources for Families During the COVID-19 Pandemic (University of Maryland) Series of fact sheets.
· Coronavirus: An Almanac Special (Twin Cities Public Television) addressing anxiety and uncertainty in relation to coronavirus
· Video: Adjusting to sudden income loss (Itasca County Television)
· Protecting Your Marriage From Becoming Another Coronavirus Victim (Institute for Family Studies)
· LGBTQ+ people and COVID-19 (Ithaca College)
· Love in the time of Corona: How to stay connected with family when we “gotta keep ’em separated” (Council on Contemporary Families)
· Stress, Resilience, and the Role of Science: Responding to the Coronavirus Pandemic (Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University)
· Ordinary People Doing Extraordinary Things: Eldercare in Wuhan under COVID-19 (Association for Anthropology and Gerontology, and the Life Course)
· Mitigating the Implications of Coronavirus Pandemic on Families (Research-to-Policy Collaboration)