Our church's mission statement asserts that we pledge "to engage in active efforts in behalf of justice, love, and truth." UUCB has a long social justice history, and the congregation's current social justice activities are one of the primary reasons new people come and join the church. Social justice action permeates all church programming - worship, religious education, fellowship, and special groups like the Chalice Circles and the choir. In addition, social justice task forces are formed to work for specific social justice initiatives. Contact our Social Justice co-chairs for details on the social justice work of our congregation: Jason Blankenship, Jackie Hall.
- Social Justice Task Forces are formed when a number of people wish to work together around a specific social justice area.
- The Social Justice Coordinating Circle is composed of representatives of task forces and other church groups who are active in social justice work. Together they communicate and coordinate their work. They also sponsor several church-wide activities - for instance, a booth at the Holiday Art and Bazaar, Social Justice Fairs, and Social Justice Sing-Alongs.
- Social Justice Funds Committee (SJFC) furnishes information regarding possible funding for social justice activities and administers two UUCB programs.
- SJFC awards funds from our SJ endowment to support start up social justice projects.
- Our congregation gives 25% of its undesignated Sunday Plate donations to a local project or service agency to assist in the community. People and Animal Learning Services was the recipient through June 2011. Members of the congregation may nominate a local social service agency for the 25% of Sunday Plate Funds. Click here for Guidelines and Application form.
- Stepping Stones grant recipient
- Common Ground is the newsletter of the Social Justice Coordinating Circle. It is distributed monthly with The Prologue. Back issues are available online from the church's home page.
- Social Justice Annual Report 2011
- Social Justice Annual Report 2010
- SJ Photos
- The relation between UUB's various social justice groups is described in Organizing for Social Justice.
- Petition to Fundraise - Task Force Chairs