Ministry Theme of the Month
I D E N T I T Y
What does it mean to be a community that wrestles with identity?
“The question of how identity is formed and shaped over time is a curious one. Social scientists tell us that certain aspects of our identity are prescribed at birth. Or in the words of Rev. Dr. Rebecca Parker: ‘we receive who we are before we choose who we will become.’ Throughout our lives, our identity continues to change. Increasingly, self-identity includes multiple dimensions. I call this ‘the multi-multi self.’ Even at age 50 or 60, some of us are claiming parts of ourselves not yet fully explored, and new identities emerge.”
~ From our Chalice Circle “Identity” session
Exercise: A Reunion with Your Former Self
Dig through your old photos and find 2 pictures of your “younger self” that best represent your core identity at that time. Then spend some time thinking about what you would say to and ask that younger self if given the chance.
- What story would you want to rehash and revisit the most?
- How would you thank your younger self?
- How would you apologize?
- What complements would you give?
- What secrets would you tell them to keep? Or not keep?
- What warnings would you offer? What encouragement would you give?
Thinking of roles and identities more generally:
- Which come from roles, birth, which are chosen? Which do you want to keep, diminish, explore?
- What values do you experience from knowing who you are?
- What disadvantages come with a sense of identity?
- What do you experience as your center? Is there a part you would describe as spiritual? How would you describe it?
July 2019: Grace, August: Possibility, September: Identity, October: Letting Go, November: Inheritance, December: Promise, January 2020: Love, February: Presence, March: Engagement, April: Anticipation, May: Embodiment, June: Passion, July: Resilience