Ministry Theme of the Month
What Does It Mean To Be a People of Blessing?
Despite all the darkness, human hope is based on the instinct that at the deepest level of reality some intimate kindness holds sway. This is the heart of blessing. To believe in blessing is to believe that our being here, our very presence in the world is the first gift; the primal blessing.
~ John O’Donohue, from To Bless the Space Between Us
- Do you believe you are a blessing? We talk a lot about giving and receiving blessings. It’s another thing entirely to believe that we are a blessing. This has nothing to do with hubris. It’s about owning your uniqueness.
- Are you ok with asking for a blessing? Sometimes it is easier to offer a blessing rather than admit you need one yourself? What’s getting in your way? Why not let others know your need?
- Are your high expectations blinding you to the blessing? What if your standard for blessing was:
- living with integrity, most of the time;
- loving your work, most of the time;
- loving the people around you, most of the time;
- loving yourself, most of the time.
In short, how would your life look different if you added that one simple phrase to all your assessments: “…most of the time”?
To look hard, for a long time, at a single glorious thing: a flame of red geranium outside my bedroom window. And then another: my daughter in a yellow dress. And then another: the perfect outline of a full, dark sphere behind the crescent moon. Until I learn to be in love with my life again.
~ Barbara Kingsolver